When Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl were first announced during the 25th anniversary Pokemon Presents presentation back in February of 2021, it didn't really come as a huge surprise to most series fans. The franchise is, after all, no stranger to remakes, with the first three generations having all been rereleased at various points over the past few decades. With that in mind, it always felt more like a case of when, rather than if, the gen 4 games would finally get their time to shine again.
Fast forward nine months, and the short gestation period is now over, meaning fans are now able to get hands-on with Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl. Though not everybody is thrilled with the chibi art style, nor the decision not to include some of the content from Pokemon Platinum, the initial reception from players has so far been positive, on the whole. With that in mind, there's arguably never been a better time for those who missed out on these classic titles 15 years ago to finally explore the wonders of the Sinnoh region. This complete guide and walkthrough will accompany players on that journey.
Updated November 29, 2021 by Tom Bowen: It's been a little over one week since the launch of Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl and already things are looking pretty good for Nintendo and Game Freak. The games sold just shy of 1.4 million units in Japan during their opening week; an impressive total, considering this data only accounts for their first three days on sale and does not include digital copies. To put that number into perspective, Sword & Shield only managed 1.3 million units in their first three days on sale in Japan. Whether or not the games have performed quite as well elsewhere in the world remains to be seen, but the overall reception from those who have picked them up has so far been pretty positive despite one or two bugs and glitches.
|Getting Started||Story Walkthrough|
|Pokemon Locations||News, Bugs & Opinions|
Getting Started in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
Those who've played a Pokemon game before should already have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, as, for the most part, they both follow the series formula to a T. That said, there are one or two mechanics that are unique to the gen 4 games, as well as a few things that were created specifically for the 2021 Switch remakes. With that in mind, even series veterans may need a little help here and there, especially if it's been a while since they last played a Pokemon game.
This section of the guide has been designed to cater to just about everybody, meaning that both rookie and veteran trainers should find elements of it useful. There's a healthy selection of how-to guides that focus on some of the gen 4 exclusive mechanics, as well as some general tips and tricks for those looking to improve or better-balance their teams. Finally, there are answers to some of the more frequently asked questions that players might have about the two games.
- How to Unlock Mystery Gift
- How to Change Clothes & Hairstyles
- How to Trade & Battle with Friends
- How to Make Pokemon Follow
- How to Rename Pokemon
- How to Find Every Poketch App
- How to EV Train
- How to Farm Money Fast
- How to Hatch Eggs Fast
- How to Max Friendship & Happiness Fast
- How to Check Friendship Level
- How to Make a Secret Base
- How to Unlock DS Sounds
- How to Unlock the National Dex
- How to Use the Poke Radar
- How to Light Up the Wayward Cave
- How to Get Shiny Starters
- How to Create Ash's Anime Team
- How to Close the Poketch Screen
- How to Leave the Grand Underground
General Tips & Tricks
- Beginner Tips for Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
- The Best Pokemon to Pair with Turtwig (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Pokemon to Pair with Chimchar (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Pokemon to Pair with Piplup (& Where to Find Them)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which Starter Pokemon Should You Choose?
- What Are the Best Natures for the Three Starter Pokemon?
- Which Types Work Best Against Others?
- What are the Biggest Differences Between the Remakes and the Original Games?
- What Happens When You Find 40 Digletts in the Grand Underground?
- What's Inside the Hearthome Hiker's Egg?
- What's Inside Riley's Egg?
- Should You Choose Dawn's Left or Right Hand?
- How Long Does it Take for Pokemon to Show Up in Honey Trees?
- Where are the Move Tutors in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl?
- What Does it Mean if a Pokemon is Dozing Off?
Story Walkthrough & Gym Guides
Anybody who's ever played a Pokemon game before will already have a pretty good idea of the story in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl. For those who haven't though, they'll be taking on the role of a young Pokemon trainer as they travel around the Sinnoh region with a view to becoming a Pokemon Champion. To do that, they'll need to defeat eight powerful gym leaders and then four more elite trainers who are fittingly known as The Elite Four.
Once all 12 opponents have been taken care of, players will have earned the right to take on the region's reigning champion in the hopes of claiming the title for themselves. Along the way, they'll also need to do battle with a group of evil villains who are hellbent on creating a new universe from the ashes of the current one. There's a healthy smattering of post-game content for players to look forward to as well, some of which was created specifically for the remakes.
Main Story Guides
- Oreburgh City Gym Guide (Roark)
- Eterna City Gym Guide (Gardenia)
- Veilstone City Gym Guide (Maylene)
- Pastoria City Gym Guide (Crasher Wake)
- Hearthome City Gym Guide (Fantina)
- Canalave City Gym Guide (Byron)
- Snowpoint City Gym Guide (Candice)
- Sunyshore City Gym Guide (Volkner)
- Victory Road Guide
- Elite Four Guide
- Cynthia Guide
- Post-Game Content
Key Item Locations
|Fire Stones||Water Stones||Thunder Stones|
|Leaf Stones||Moon Stones||Sun Stones|
|Shiny Stones||Dusk Stones||Dawn Stones|
|Old Rod||Good Rod||Super Rod|
|Dark Pulse||Sludge Bomb||Energy Ball|
|Giga Drain||Flash||Mean Look|
|X Def||X Sp. Def||X Attack|
|X Sp. Attack||X Accuracy||X Speed|
|Dire Hit||Guard Spec.|
|Focus Sash||Soothe Bell||Lucky Egg|
|Amulet Coin||Quick Claw||Mystic Water|
|Master Balls||Mysterious Shards||Ramanas Park Slates|
|Valley Windworks Key||Hotel Suite Key||Warehouse Key|
Ever since the very first Pokemon games were released more than a quarter of a century ago, the number of Pokemon has grown dramatically. Being remakes of older games, the total number available in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl is actually a little lower than in some of the series' more recent offerings, with 493 Pokemon available. Of course, this is still more than three times as many as in the gen 1 games, meaning that those hoping to catch them all are going to have their work cut out for them.
As is tradition for the franchise, both games feature a number of version-specific Pokemon, which also include several Legendaries. These guides will not only explain where to find all of these Pokemon, but also how players can catch some of the more elusive Pokemon that are found throughout the two games. Finally, there'll be information about how players can get their hands on some of the many gift Pokemon in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, including Mew and Jirachi.
Individual Pokemon Guides
Collective Pokemon Guides
- Every Legendary Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Pokemon Exclusive to Brilliant Diamond (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Pokemon Exclusive to Shining Pearl (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Pokemon in the Grand Underground (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Swarm Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Pokemon in the Safari Zone
- Every In-Game Trade (& Where to Find Them)
- Every Pokemon that Evolves Through Trading
- The Best Fire-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Water-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Grass-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Psychic-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Electric-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
- The Best Poison-Type Pokemon (& Where to Find Them)
News, Bugs & Opinions
Given the popularity of the series, it would be incredibly surprising if Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl don't end up selling well. Indeed, within just a few hours of their release, the games had already taken the top two spots on the Nintendo eShop site in various territories. With physical sales data still to come, however, that's very likely just the tip of the iceberg. Any further news about sales, or anything else connected to the titles in general, for that matter, will appear in this section.
Due to the startling number of bugs found in the games at launch, there's also an entire subsection dedicated to all of the technical issues and glitches that have been discovered so far. This is also where readers can expect to find opinions about the games themselves; though not just about how good or bad they are, but also on some of the themes and ideas that they explore.
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Distribution Event Offers Starter Statues
- Pokemon Shining Pearl Player Speedruns the Game in 1 Hour
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond Player Completes National Dex in 24 Hours
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus Teaser Potentially Found in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl May Add Wonder Trading
- Video Shows Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Being Played on Car Radio Display
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Are Missing the Overworld Shinies From Pokemon Let's Go
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Comparison Video Shows How Much Battle Speed Has Improved
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Patch Released
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Glitch Lets Players Catch Event Pokemon Early
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Glitch Lets Players Clone Pokemon and Items
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Player Runs Into Glitched Battle Background
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Follow Pokemon Can Run Into Invisible Items
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Player Discovers Hilarious Glitch at the Pokemon League
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Player's Rival Has Wrong Starter Pokemon
- Pokemon Shining Pearl Player Gets Wrong Legendary
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl's Poketch Calculator is Broken
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Player Gets Invisible NPC in Their Playthrough
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Mechanics Can Lock Players Out of Post-Game Content for a Week
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Players Can be Softlocked Inside the Seventh Gym
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Have a Weird Glitch Connected to Nicknames
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Players Get Stuck Behind NPCs in Veilstone
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Review Roundup
- Things That Can Ruin Your Playthrough In Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
- The Biggest Fixes Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Need
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl's Grand Underground Should Return in Future Games
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Should Get the Same DLC Support as Sword & Shield
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Bring a Level of Simplicity Back to the Series
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl's Focus on Pokeball Seals Should Carry Forward
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Highlight an Issue With Reviving Older DS Titles
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl's Timed Drifloon Encounter is a Weird Oversight
- Comparing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl to Sword & Shield
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl's Ramanas Park is Great After Sword and Shield
- How Team Galactic Compares to Other Villain Teams
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Should be the Last to Have Uncatchable Shinies
- The Best Fan Challenges To Make Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Harder
These 5 sci-fi movies all but shuttered the fourth wall, leaving the audience crying with laughter and wondering what had just happened.